Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Another alternative to Parallels: Q


A few days ago I was extolling the virtues of VirtualBox, an alternative virtualization package for Mac OS X that allows me to run FreeBSD, Windows, Linux & so forth on my Mac, without the need to reboot. Well, I just stumbled across another one with the rather memorable name of "Q". You can find it here: http://www.kju-app.org/kju/

I have not tried this package yet, but it looks promising. From their website:

Run Windows, Linux and a lot more Systems on your Mac. Q is a feature packed cocoa port of QEMU: Switch fast between guest PCs. Save and restart guest PCs at any stage. Easily exchange Files between Host and Guest. Q makes use of OS X most advanced technologies like openGL, quartz and coreaudio to accelerate your experience with your guest PC. Please remember: At the present state, QEMU is still considered ALPHA software.

Note the reference to the package being alpha software. I'm not quite ready to install it on the machine that I make my living with, but I'll keep an eye on it.